Beginning in 2018, the Restoration Authority has worked to develop a just and equitable approach to ensure the benefits of Measure AA funding are conveyed to economically disadvantaged communities (EDCs) in the Bay Area (EDC defined as a community with a median household income less than 80% of the area median income).
Developing Equity Recommendations
Initially, the Authority's Advisory Committee formed an ad hoc subcommittee to explore how best to engage with and provide benefits to EDCs. To support this work, the Authority hired an equity consultant in February 2019 to develop recommendations for the grant program. The consultant’s report, Establishing an Equity and Community Engagement Program that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities, was based on input obtained through interviews and focus group discussions with community leaders and equity experts. Based upon this report, the subcommittee developed a set of short-term recommendations to the Governing Board on next steps to advance Measure AA Projects in benefit of EDCs (December 2019). Through discussion with the Governing Board, the subcommittee augmented this to include near and long term recommendations. The full set of recommendations were formally adopted by the Governing Board in July 2020, with the passage of Resolution 70.
Resolution 70 and the Advisory Committee Recommendations
Resolution 70 (July 2021) commits the Governing Board of the San Francisco Bay Restoration Authority to integrating equity into its work by continuing to listen, welcome new voices and partnerships, and work with community leaders to develop projects that empower and benefit communities that historically have been excluded from habitat restoration and the design of parks and trails.
The full text of the Resolution and the set of recommendations for achieving the aim of integrating equity into the Authority's work can be found here.
In accordance with Resolution 70, staff report annually on the progress made towards implementing the recommendations.
- October 2022 - Yearly Update on Implementing Advisory Committee Recommendations for Implementing Measure AA in a Manner that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities
- October 2021 - Yearly Update on Implementing Advisory Committee Recommendations for Implementing Measure AA in a Manner that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities
Community Grants Program
In response to recommendations from equity and environmental justice representatives, the Advisory Committee, and Governing Board Members to improve the equity of our grant program, the Authority developed a Community Grants Program. The Community Grants Program provides an alternative application pathway for projects led by community-based organizations in economically disadvantaged communities.
- April 2022, Memo on Community Grants Program Progress
- April 2022, Fiscal Year 2021-2022 Community Grant Recommendation Table
- April 2021, Memo on Community Grants Program Progress
- April 2021, Fiscal Year 2020-2021 Community Grant Recommendation Table
- July 2020, Community Grants Program Staff Recommendation
- July 2020, Resolution 69 to Create a Community Grants Program
Restoration Authority Equity Resources, by date
- October 2022, Yearly Update on Implementation of Equity Recommendations
- May 2022, Advisory Committee Recommendations to Advance Equity for Grants and Programs in 2022
- October 2021, Yearly Update on Implementing Advisory Committee Recommendations for Implementing Measure AA in a Manner that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities
- July 2020, Resolution 70 to Accept the Advisory Committee’s Recommendations
- July 2020, Advisory Committee Recommendations for Implementing Measure AA in a Manner that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities, As Amended by the Governing Board
- July 2020, AC Report to the Governing Board on Recommendations
- July 2020, Presentation on AC Recommendations
- February 2020, Staff Memo on Proposed Framework for Equity Improvements and Community Engagement Grants Program
- December 2019, Report of the Advisory Committee: Recommendations to Benefit Economically Disadvantaged Communities
- December 2019, Staff Memo on Implementing Recommendations on Equity and Community Engagement
- September 2019, Consultant's Report: Establishing an Equity and Community Engagement Program that Benefits Economically Disadvantaged Communities